Thursday, January 12, 2012

Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)Last Breath by Rachel Caine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In this particular case, I don't want to give an overview.  At this point, you either have read the Morganville Vampires series, or you haven't... so you should know what's going "on" with Morganville, Texas, a town (yeah, Texas!) run by vampires.

This is a YA novel, but there are allusions to steamy bedroom behavior, while not graphically described.  If you are not a "fan" usually of YA, you may still consider giving this series a chance.  The main character is young- but she is in college.  Throughout the series, there is romance and "deflowering". 

This is the latest book in the series, and it does not disappoint.  I was a little worried- I mean, with everything that has already happened in the other books... exactly how many hi jinx can Claire and her friends at the Glass House have with the vampires?  Plenty more it turns out!  But in this one... OK ...just one or two spoilers maybe, there is more than just the "founder" vampires! 



It was an absolute roller coaster ride... and one part of the book took my completely by surprise!  I was like, "NOoooooooo!"  But, the ray of hope was still there, because I read the forward from Rachel Caine about the next book coming out.  *Phew*  Thank goodness.  This book, while not a cliff hanger, still leaves MUCH "up in the air".

A difference in this book, was the choice Rachel Caine made to not just have Claire's point of view.  We actually get "in the head" of a few other characters, including at least one vampire.  While there were touching moments, I admit I was hoping for a little more steamy material.  I mean, let's face it - after that last book there was very little steam to go around.  Fight Club meets vampires, yes, but very light on the romance in the last book.  This one does include more, but I still would've been happier with still a wee bit more.

I also enjoyed the "growth" of some of the side characters, like Hannah and Monica.  They were still on the sidelines, but they are still there and still growing.  Even Michael, Morganville's newest vampire, has a chapter as the narrator and must face some of his personal demons.

Overall, I really liked it.  It was great in making the characters true to how they have been, but still rolling with the punches on the "new" situation.  So- if you are a fan of the Morganville Vampires, this book should not disappoint.  

1 comment: