Friday, February 3, 2012

The Legacy of Kilkenny

The Legacy of Kilkenny (The Legacy, #1)The Legacy of Kilkenny by Devyn Dawson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First of all, I would like to thank Devyn Dawson for allowing the R2R program to review her book. I always appreciate the chance to read and review a book.

After initially looking at a few reviews to determine if I should read it, I found many glowing comments; they lead me to really think I would like this book. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The overall premise was interesting, and promising. But for me the formatting, and point of view between Pru and Abel ended up preventing me from really investing myself into the characters.

I found that the book tells the reader the story instead of showing it. Rather than painting a picture with words to show a plump, juicy, red apple with beads of cool moisture sweating out of it's sweet flesh. It would rather just have a character say, 'Give me an apple.' I didn't have the sense of being lead into the story, instead I felt like flash boards of high points were being sped through so quickly I got dizzy. The two main characters go from just meeting on one page, and BFF's the next. Granted, there was a passage of time, but many relationship building parts of the story were absent. I also felt like there was little conflict, especially in regard to the acceptance on Abe's part with Pru's "furry" nature at first. Many situations, like that one felt forced, unnatural and unbelievable.



The change in points of view: they happened so often and so fast that I felt like I was a ping pong ball being bounced between Abe and Pru. Half the time I would forget, or due to formatting would not notice the change of perspective and wonder why suddenly the character would say such things. I would quickly realize my error, but it became an exercise of will to finish the book as time went on. The few times it stuck with one person for any length of time, I would find myself drawn in to the story.

It felt like there was almost too much supernatural "stuff" being thrown in. If they had stuck to werewolves with shamanic overtones and rituals, that would have been great. But in trying to add so much, it would slow down at odd points getting bogged down with details without allowing enough time to express all the details. If the focus of the story had been narrowed down, I think it would have been more successful in drawing in the reader and giving them enough time to read and absorb this particular paranormal reality.

I am far, far from being a perfectionist, or even talented in regards to grammar and/or formatting of an e-book; but this book was very ill formatted with many obvious errors. It needed serious, serious attention from a proofreader.

The overall combination left me frustrated and dizzy. But bear in mind- this was just my reaction to it. Many readers enjoyed the two perspectives, and connected with the characters and the story. If you enjoy a slightly racier paranormal YR series, then by all means give it a try. Make sure first, however, to get some Dramamine.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment